Friday, November 6, 2009

Visible Marriage

I am a heterosexual recently married woman who is a passionate supporter of gay rights. I was heartbroken when the state of California dropped the ball and didn't support gay men and women to marry. The recent events in Maine were a sad disappointment as well.

Today I read a lovely post from A Practical Wedding. It's an excerpt from a recently married gay woman. And it's a cry to me and everyone in any relationship. Let's work to define our own roles and resist judging those of anyone else.

Because the same thing that makes my marriage invisible has the potential to make everyone’s marriage invisible. We’re told that marriage is being a woman who does x and a man who does y who both stay on timeline z. There’s no room in that for who the couple is and who each of the individuals in it are.

But maybe if people expand their opinion of what marriage can be, they’ll also broaden their view of who it can include.

No comments:

Post a Comment